Lugano-Paradiso stop closed from 11 December 2016 until 9 December 2017A replacement bus service is provided.
The stop in Lugano-Paradiso will be completely renovated to provide the commuter and tourist customers an modern infrastructure with high safety standards and optimal accessibility to the trains. The current infrastructure no longer responds to the railway customer needs and its capacity does not allow to meet the rise in demand for regional traffic expected with the opening of the Railway Mendrisio - Varese (-Malpensa) and of the base tunnel of Monte Ceneri.
The renovation work, which will take place from October 2016 until June 2018, require the complete closure of the station from 11th December 2016 until 9th December 2017.
To minimize any inconvenience to customers, the Canton Ticino in collaboration with SBB and TILO, has prepared an replacement bus offer for the customers:
- The timetables and routes of ordinary bus rides from the Postbus stop in Lugano-Paradiso to / from Lugano SBB Station will be adapted
- Additional substitute bus rides for TILO connections to / from Melide SBB Station in the hours between 06.00 and 09:30 and from 16:00 to 19:00 on weekdays Monday-Friday will be added
- The bus rides will link in Melide SBB Station with arriving / departing S10 TILO connections
- The official bus stop "Paradiso, Stazione / Scuole" is valid for both the normal postal bus service towards Lugano SBB station, and for the replacement bus service towards Melide SBB station. In Lugano and Melide train stations, the buses leave from the station forecourt.
- TPL line 2 to / from Lugano railway station and 439 SNL line to / Melide will also be available as a substitute transportation from Paradiso.
This closure is necessary to perform important construction works, such as:
- The construction of an elevated pedestrian walkway on the tracks
- The extension of the lenght of the platforms, which will allow access to longer trains and more seats
- The raising of the height of the platforms to bring them to the same level of the train entry, which will allow customers unimpeded access to regional trains
- The construction of ramps and lifts to allow access without barriers to the trains by disabled travelers
- The complete renewal of the overhead contact line between Lugano and Lugano-Paradiso
To raise awareness of customers, signage will be laid out at the station and announcements will be made both at the station and on the trains in the next weeks.
The detailed timetable of the replacement buses service is available by consulting the online timetable indicating your route.
We apologize for any inconvenience.